Thursday, July 14, 2011

Drinking Money

It costs about five dollars to buy a liter and a half of water in downtown Singapore. I was tempted to lick puddles from sidewalks but giardia medicine would probably cost me five hundred, so eventually I caved.
We walked about seventy miles today, I'm certain. From 930 AM until 730 PM we were on the move. We explored the riverfront, a fort/sculpture park on a hill overlooking the city, then made our way to the bay where we stumbled into a Dali exhibit that was well worth the three hours we spent roaming the artscience museum.
There's nothing quite like walking through the financial district of one of the most successful and driven economies on the planet to sow the seeds of panic for one's own financial stability. It was necessary to visit the Fountain of Wealth after facing thousands of men and women wearing suits worth more than my savings account. It's said that if you walk three times around the fountain with your hand in the water while making a wish, it comes true. I silently did a wealth wish for the two of us. It's the largest fountain in the world, which must make it the very best conduit for wishes. Somethings working around here.

By the time 730 rolled around, Nathan was in a bad spot. He had to deal with a meltdown, which I blame on exhaustion, foot swelling, and five dollar waters. Everything around us became an impossible, insurmountable chore. I couldn't sit comfortably on our bar stools, couldn't talk about Michelle Bachman without turning purple, couldn't even eat delicious Barfi (newest favorite Indian dessert..I know it doesn't translate well) without complaining of tooth decay. I call this my 'everything is stupid' mood. When asked to describe what is bothering me in such a mood, the only explanation I can muster is 'everything around me is stupid, not including present company'. Luckily we were close to home..Luckily Nathan didn't abandon me on the street. Good man. I got a hot shower and a foot rub (great man!) and things started looking up.

Tomorrow the zoo! I'm planning on sleeping like a baby. A baby who has five strangers farting and snoring in the same room as her, but a baby just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment