Friday, July 1, 2011

A Few Island Pictures

I can't not include this picture.  Poor poor creature.

This was the tray full of 'ingredients' that were sprinkled into our betel nut packet.  I cannot tell you what a single one of them is.  I thought the tin with colorful jimmy/sprinkle like things looked tasty but in hindsight I think it might be fertilizer.  

The finished product.  Ipecac for little India. 

Travel through South East Asia isn't complete with out some snake charmin'.  I like adventure, but watching this snake 'show' made me really really nervous.  

That said..we both took part in the fun. 

I don't like snakes..but, with a temperature of 100 degrees, it was quite pleasant to have this live cool-pack wrapped around my neck. 

Seven pools waterfall from above.  We rode the cable car to the top of a nearby mountain to check out the island of Langkawi. 

Walking the suspension bridge at the top of the mountain.

Another bridge shot.

Notice..about a 100 meters in the distance....

Rubber tree doing what it does..
We've been good little tourists, exploring the Islands on the Western coast of Malaysia.  It's now time to head south.  We'll be on a train to Kuala Lumpur in the morning.
As a side note:
We met a crazy old man on the tour of the spice plantation.  He very sternly informed us both about one more thing that monkeys hate (so he wasn't completely crazy).  I find it intriguing how many people know just one or two things on the monkey most hated list.  This man did a demonstration of how smiling at a monkey can actually make the monkey think you are challenging it to a fight.  He claimed to have seen this very dangerous misunderstanding in person.  I think the seriousness with which I received his warning made him think that I was toying with him.  Even when I assured him that I knew full well that monkeys can rip people's faces off in the blink of an eye..he looked to Nathan to make sure I wasn't being snide.  Nathan shook his head as if to say...'No pal, she's dead serious.'
Then the ol' man bought me a drink.  Making friends all over the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment