Friday, January 14, 2011

Coffee?

We were just tying up a conversation about my impending existential crisis when the gas tank light came on.  So, we stopped to fill up and grab a little lunch in middle of somewhere Tennessee.   We had each been drinking a coffee from earlier in the day and mine had been stored between my knees on the passenger seat while reading chapters of my favorite Bukowski novel (Post Office) aloud and arguing the finer points of existence.  I got up to pay for the gas (my turn) and realized I had been sitting in a puddle of coffee.  My cup had been leaking slowly for hundreds of miles and somehow...somehow...I hadn't noticed.  Nathan was instantly skeptical of my story.  Things didn't add up.  I swear I saw him sniff the seat to make sure I hadn't lost control of my bladder.  When I called him on it, he claimed it was an act of faith..not disbelief..  If he'd truly believed it was an incontinence issue he wouldn't have gone near it.  I'm not convinced.  Either way, I had to remove my pants in a gas station parking lot as inconspicuously as possible.  Jokes flew fast and furious until I reminded Nathan that he was done driving and was about to be passenger in the soggy seat.  We managed to figure out a booster seat for him, which leveled the playing field...so easy to ridicule a grown man on a make shift booster.
We made it to Knoxville Maryland to spend the night with my Aunt and Uncle.  Tomorrow..more driving.

No comments:

Post a Comment