Sunday, January 23, 2011

Transitions

After some final pieces of advice from my parents

Pa:  "Be safe.  Have fun, and remember: if you are imprisoned and/or kidnapped, your father died years ago in a tragic farming accident and your family can't afford a ransom"

Mum: "Don't talk to strangers"

I flew to NYC to spend a day (Monday) with my good friend 'Crazy Heather'. She lived up to her nickname.  When she found me at baggage claim I was fairly certain she was going to be tackled by TSA before she reached me.  It was like being rushed by a muppet with props.  The guy sitting next to me slid three or four seats over to stay clear of the screaming, arm waving, glitter throwing, styrofoam-fish hat wearing fur ball with paint and glitter all over her face.  He managed to avoid the glitter explosion...but I did not.  I'll be pulling glitter out of my ears for another three weeks.  In addition to the props listed, Heather had also strapped balloons to her entire body.  The innocent sitting nearest to me caught two in the face as she frantically hugged me.
On the way back to her place she explained in a crowded subway tunnel that sometimes when traffic gets thick she likes to hold her hands out in front of herself one on top of the other, arms extended and chomp them up and down like a mouth while making monster noises.  "It really helps open up a path, for some reason it makes people feel uncomfortable"
Tomorrow should be an incredible day.

No comments:

Post a Comment