Sunday, January 16, 2011

Welcome to New England

Setting:  Gas station in Massachusetts, 9:30 pm, January 15, 2011

Our first glimpse of an interaction between two of 'Our People', New Englanders.
After almost running down a guy with the nerve to cross the road infront of our single head lighted vehicle we pulled into a gas station to fill up and stretch our legs.  A man pulled up to the pump behind us.  He required a cane to get around and the lady behind the counter in the store saw him coming so came outside to help him.  How unsteady he was on his feet is unclear, but he was convincingly feeble.  As she held his elbow guiding him into the station he said casually,
"I could just hold onto your back pocket to steady myself." 
She did not miss his unsuccessful attempt at subtlety as he glanced at her posterior.
Her reply, deadpan:
"Or, you could grab my front pocket, which is where I hide my gun, and try to stop me from shooting you"

Home at last.
We leave the country in 8 days.  Time to get serious about the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment