Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Matthew Peter Neves

Visiting with my younger brother Matt tonight.  He showed up smelling like cod with an enormous (seemingly empty) garbage bag slung over his shoulder.  He threw it on the floor, reached his arm then his head then his entire uppper body into this bag to pull out seven or eight cod fillets.  He anticipated my question when he saw the raised eyebrow.  With a smirk he explained,  "Ran out of zip-locks."

Mum and Pa packaged up seven cases of dried beans for him to deliver to Northern Maine when he heads home bright and early tomorrow morning. 
Pa:  Matt, do you have room in the back of your truck for seven cases of beans?
Matt: No.
Pa:  What the heck are you hauling around that you don't have any room?
Matt:  I had to shovel 800 pounds of snow into the truck bed to keep it out of the ditch on the way here.
Matt (under his breath):  I'm also hoping to fill the truck with firewood before I leave.

I watched, and encouraged Matt as he shoveled the snow from the back.  I was dressed in full eskimo gear.  Snow pants, -30 boots, two pairs of gloves, wool scarf, down filled jacket complete with fur along the hood.  I shivered and complained while Matt explained that working on the ocean he has learned the differene between being a little cold (he looks over at me) and being so cold you might die.  He shakes his head and laughs...I don't know if he even owns a pair of gloves.  If he does, they are not on his person..and the same goes for a jacket.
We finished up loading wood, and met Pa in the basement while transporting the seven cases of beans to Matt's passenger seat.

Pa:  So I guess you'll just pay me for both your half and your roommates half of the cost of the wood now?
We all have a good chuckle.

No comments:

Post a Comment