Friday, February 25, 2011

One Step At A Time

In Thailand there doesn't seem to be a standard step height, or location.  You can be walking down the street and all of the sudden the ground drops or rises two-thirty six inches for no apparent reason.  This is dangerous.  I can't count the number of times Nathan and I have either stubbed toes or twisted ankles.  The step location problem is almost as irritating as the distance between steps being random.  I was running to the upstairs bathroom (I'll get to the reason shortly)..in our guest house yesterday to discover that the third and seventh steps in the staircase were approximately four inches taller than all of the others.  The fifth step was four inches shorter.  The result:  I tripped on the third step because my flip flop caught the edge, smashed my knee on the miniature fifth step, recovered..cursing..and did the exact same thing on the seventh step.  Two bruises and a stubbed toe.  Watch your step.

I didn't write about this little incident in Burma earlier because I was unsure of what really happened until 26-29 hours later.  Now I'm sure.

We were walking in the maze of vendor stalls listening to people calling for our attention to buy this or that.  It was mid day and I was starting to get hungry.  Instead of waiting for Nathan to also feel hungry I took matters into my own hands.  I found a woman selling these delicious looking pink dried fruits.  They were something I had never seen, looked a bit like flattened breast implants to be quite honest..with the texture of a perfectly dried apricot.  I know..that may not sound great..but they looked delectable.  I tried negotiating the price of one of them and was shot down immediately.  Full price.  5 Baht (17 cents?).  The woman looked like she was going to take the fruit I just bought and cut it into tiny pieces, so I stopped her.  Miming that I was going to eat it right then.  I should have known something was up by the sly smile and head shaking.  I ate it..as we walked and chatted about how strange things in Burma were.  I got a lot of looks..glances at this fruit, then back at me.
Turns out, this was most likely a local remedy for constipation.  Lesson learned.
I may have taken a bit more than the recommended dose.

3 comments:

First Wife said...

Oh Neves.....this reminds me of our college days when I used to spike your coffee with laxatives. Good times.

Anonymous said...

LOL!!! I told you about my trip to China and the "digestive cookies." Too funny. Your poor body is taking a beating. Stay safe.

matt said...

Between the sushi and mystery fruits, sounds like youve figured out a great way to colon cleanse.

Post a Comment