Monday, February 21, 2011

Surprise Supper

When I was a kid my favorite dinner was 'surprise supper'.  A concept my mother loved because it meant I'd be taking care of feeding myself.  Anything I wanted on my plate for the meal..I could have.  My mother probably wouldn't have been so willing to let me do this if I had chosen junk food, but I loved vegetables, fruits and cheeses.  Nathan and I did a surprise supper on our last night in Pai, sampling all of the street food we could manage. 

Most noteworthy:  we tried a black rice tortilla grilled over an open flame, then covered in sesame seeds and sweetened condensed milk, served in a banana leaf.  Incredible!
Secondly, a banana leaf omelet.  I was so impressed with Nathan when he ordered one..and then realized he had no idea what he was getting himself into.  The topper for these egg dishes were grubs.  Little white worms that explode when you bite into them.  To his credit...he ate more of it than me.  We both agreed that feeling a grub pop between your teeth isn't something we need to try again.

We both ordered some banana chocolate pancakes to chase away the grub goo.
I'm loving the Thai food.

No comments:

Post a Comment