Monday, April 11, 2011

Bathroom on Board

When does one stop laughing and start crying? Tough question. We bought ourselves a heck of a deal on sleeper bus tickets this afternoon. Fourteen dollars for a ten to twelve hour ride with beds and a bathroom on board. I guess we made a rookie mistake when we assumed we were buying actual beds on this bus. We got on with a 'Good luck!' shouted at us from the crook who sold us these 'tickets' and the bus was moving before we realized every bed was taken and there were already three people sleeping on the floor. Some people may have chosen this moment to lose their cool.. Understandably, who wants to attempt to sleep without a blanket or pillow, on a bus floor that smells like a swamp, for ten hours. But hey, there's a bathroom on board! This wasn't the moment my despair took hold. No, I lasted about an hour. I started upbeat, laughing at the absolute absurdity of our situation.
Then, I began to feel the contents of my stomach make their way up my esophagus. I don't normally suffer from car sickness. But also, I don't usually pick low lying cramped bus floors to cuddle with the wet suffocating stench of feet, so I've never really.. I mean REALLY tested my level of susceptibility to car sickness. I'm writing this while propping myself against two metal poles to keep myself upright. When my throat tilts more than 6 ish degrees from vertical, things turn touch and go. Nathan is sleeping behind me. I can't help but stare. He's so lucky, so blissfully away from the man covered in sores, from the woman weeping for unknown reasons, from this God awful smell. I'm waiting for someone to give me a hard time about blocking the isle, or using an iPod (maybe he light is keeping them up?) but so far no fool has given me an outlet for my incredulity.
I'm so glad the man from the front waited until I was good and ill before emptying the contents of his bowels in the miniature toilet four feet to my left. But hey, there's a bathroom on board!
As I write this it is impossible for me to imagine things being better, but if you're reading it..they most likely are.

1 comment:

benmartin said...

But isn't it all about "Getting there is Half the Fun!!" ?
Enjoy,
DeBen

Post a Comment