Friday, April 22, 2011

Fifteen minutes

We arrived safely in Quy Nhon. Our bus had empty seats and everything. We spent most of the morning walking around looking for a bakery/cafe in our lonely planet only to discover that it no longer exists. Our room is on the 5th floor of a hotel over looking the beach and costs a whopping 8$ a night. Hard to pass up staying a few days to enjoy totally deserted beaches.

I have been gawked at non-stop for the last month. It happens more in Vietnam than anywhere else we've been. This might be because there aren't really tourists in a lot of the places we visit, but whatever the reason.. I can't seem to blend in as well as Nathan. I decided on our fruitless walk this morning that if I could magically transport myself anywhere in the world for just fifteen minutes this is where I would go:
To a grocery store in Augusta Maine. I would walk the isles, completely invisible, indistinguishable from every other shopper. Prices would be marked on every item and I would walk up and down isles appreciating the system. No one would care about me, point at my hair or my skin, children would not treat me like a famous character from their favorite cartoon. I would be blissfully anonymous for a beautiful fifteen minutes.
Yeah, the attention is getting to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment