Friday, April 22, 2011

Heading South

Our time in Hoi An has come to a close..We will be catching an over priced bus south to Quy Nhon in a few minutes.  This is a beach town that we are told is less frequented by tourists than some of the others.  I'm looking forward to some time on the beach.  I forgot to ask if our bus ticket was for actual seats on the bus.  You'd think I would have learned by now.  It reminds me of a quote from 'The Alchemist', which I just finished reading. 
"If it happens once, it is unlikely to ever happen again.  But, if it happens twice, it will surely happen a third time."
So, if we end up on the floor for the next seven hours in a smelly bus, I'll be ready for our third attempt at a bus trip.

In a town with more than 500 tailors we were both (me more so than Nathan) convinced to get something tailor made for ourselves.  We both got jackets, silk lined for about 35 dollars.  We also took an early morning organized tour to the Cham ruins in My Son.  Its the Angkor Wat of Vietnam.  We got up at 430 in the morning and woke up our wake up call, who was sleeping under the reception desk.  He let us out and a man on a moped drove up to the hotel.  He told both Nathan and myself to get onto his bike behind
him.  It was a tight fit.  He drove us a couple hundred yards, which I'm quite
certain we would have more comfortably walked, and dropped us at the tour guide office. 
When we got to the ruins the gate was closed because the people who sell the tickets were
running about an hour and a half late.  We waited until they showed up to enter the
ruins.  It was pretty impressive, and worth getting up so early to avoid the crowds.
We walked around for about an hour, the whole time I kept very close track of my watch to make sure we didn't miss our ride back to town. I thought the loop trail was a couple hundred meters so gave us about ten minutes to walk back to the bus. Turned out, as we were strolling back towards our pick up point that Nathan had heard the loop was closer to 3 kilometers. Panic! We ran the remainder of the loop and arrived covered in sweat to a bus full of respectably timely tourists waiting in the bus for stragglers.

Wish us luck with a day of bus rides and taxi drivers!

No comments:

Post a Comment