Saturday, April 16, 2011

The sales pitch that fails

We were walking to the park in Hue yesterday when one of the gazillion men with a moped ready to sweep any tourist to any destination for 'real cheap' yelled out to me.
"Get on my bike! Where you go? I take you there."
I responded like I always respond. I told him that I liked walking and that I enjoyed the exercise. At this point his salesmanship failed him.
"You look heavy, it's too hard to walk. You should sit. Walking for you looks difficult."
Even though I was certain he understood about 1.5 percent of my reply I couldn't help but respond to his unwitting dig.
"Listen pal, you try eating noodles and bread three times a day as a Caucasian woman. I may have put on a few pounds but I assure you my legs can still support my weight."
These interactions give Nathan a chuckle. It's a good thing my curly hair is a hit, the compliments I rake in about my hair make up for the missteps.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Jay thinks your walking must look difficult because "she doesn't bend at the knees....her little legs have to swing around at each step."

Post a Comment