Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Kitty has the blues

Sleep hasn't come easy these last few nights. In the dark alley behind the hotel the wailing starts when the city quiets down. For those of you who have never heard a ferrel cat in heat.. consider yourself lucky. It's like listening to a night terror from inside of a night terror. Anyway, tonight the miserable screeching reminded me of an experience Nathan and I had in the market the other day. I've given Nathan a hard time on numerous occasions via blog so it's only fair I cop to an example of my cultural naïveté.
We were strolling through a market with lots of poultry for sale. There were small bamboo cages containing one duck and one cat lining the street. I mentioned to Nathan that I thought it was a nice touch that the owners of the ducks were kind enough to put a companion animal in their cages to keep them calm. He stopped walking, turned to me completely expressionless, and he waited. We stared at each other for about twenty five seconds. To Nathan's credit, he did not start laughing until I said 'Oh.'
It hadn't even occured to me that cat might go well with duck on he dinner table. Is it any wonder they sound like they're having night terrors when the streets get dark?

No comments:

Post a Comment